main objectives of the Institute are to develop and standardise
techniques of investigation for diagnosis, treatment and assessment
for better management of leprosy with ultimate goal of eradication
of this disease by helping the National Leprosy Eradication
- Understanding the disease better using electrophysiological, immunological, molecular and electron-microscopic tools.
- Developing better technologies for diagnosis using immunological, molecular and in-situ techniques.
- Viability methods using foot pad, ATP, molecular methods for drug resistance.
- Transmission: Epidemiological, molecular approaches.
- Improved regimens, new regimens, improved surgical methods, drug action, kinetics etc.
TUBERCULOSIS AND OTHER MYCOBACTERIAL INFECTIONS
- Techniques for DNA fingerprinting: Ribotyping; application studies using other genotypic methods.
- Drug resistance: Molecular mechanisms, probes, microarray based approaches; New herbal drugs.
- Therapy, Vaccines
- Animal Studies: Immunomodulation; drugs.
- HIV / AIDS:
- Relationship between HIV-TB, HIV and Leprosy.
- Clinical course of disease.
- Co-endemicity of filariasis with leprosy etc